Saturday, May 22, 2010

Pre-Trip Tromp: The Overland Campaign

Looks like we'll be focusing on Richmond, Petersburg, and Appomattox during our upcoming three-day trip. I am very much looking forward to this.

As we'll be doing that over Memorial Day weekend, I plan to run out to The Wildnerness and Spotsylvania (and possibly North Anna) this Sunday. I really feel that having this background will help bring it all home as we make our way to the place where all the killing stopped.

The forecast is calling for rain, and I'd almost have it no other way. I read today that a dark mist hovered over the Spotsylvania fields in the predawn hours, with intermittent downpours throughout the day.


Eager to tromp those fields and add some new mud to the ol' boots.

2 comments:

  1. Dylan,

    Sounds like a great trip. Petersburg is spectacular. The tree clearing at The Crater may be complete by now, so hopefully the viewshed is much improved. I recommend a visit to Pamplin Park (if it's open) to tour the April 2 breakthrough site as well.

    Not sure I'd feel the same about the rain, but you won't get the ole boots muddy with the sun shining.

    Have a great time.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steve! The rain was on again-off again, with heavy downpours at the Plank Rd/Brock Rd intersection and at the Bloody Angle on the Mule Shoe Salient. In fact, my couple of hours at Spotsylvania proved to be one of my favorite tromps yet. I was entirely alone and it was incredibly intimate.

    We're really excited about the trip. We even made special arrangements to do Pamplin Park on Saturday so as not to miss it.

    Any big plans for the season? I've enjoyed reading about your winter explorations.

    ReplyDelete